It is beautiful outside, it is June- everything is blooming and I want to talk to you about new approach to health and disease prevention- FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE.
We live in an epidemic of chronic diseases and conventional treatment of chronic conditions failed, I am not going to say that we do not need emergency medicine, surgery, antibiotics – we need them in these specific situations, but treatment of chronic conditions is much more effective from functional medicine standpoint. Why?
Because functional medicine looking for the cause of the condition, not the symptoms, if you know what is going on you can address it correctly.
Functional medicine takes into consideration all influences from environment, your lifestyle and how your genes interact with your environment and lifestyle, what is the result of this interaction-balance or imbalance and how this interaction effects all systems in your body creating cardiovascular disease, stroke, weight gain, diabetes, arthritis, AD, hypothyroidism, autoimmune conditions in case of imbalance.
Today I want to introduce you to the 7 keys to UltraWellness and give you a few tips on how you can begin rebalancing core systems of your body responsible for the balance-which means-HEALTH.
According to Dr. Hyman-one of the founding fathers of Functional medicine they are:
Key #1: Optimize Nutrition
Our biology, physiology, biochemistry need some raw materials to run optimally-the right minerals, vitamins, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, phytonutrients.
IF YOU WANT HEALTHY BODY PUT IN WHOLE, HEALTHY FOOD.
- Eat whole, real, organic, unprocessed food. Avoid buying food with long labels that you can not understand-it is not real food but something else.
- Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables full of colors-your source of phytonutrients.
- Eat food with plenty of fiber, such as celery, leeks, asparagus, apples, millet, brown rice.
- Eat food with high content of Omega-3 fatty acid: salmon, macrel, omega-3 eggs, walnuts, sardines, avocados.
By following these four simple principles, you will be doing 90% of what you have to do in order to stay healthy from nutritional standpoint, but it is not enough…
As we discussed before, we all deficient in vitamins, minerals and some nutrients because our soil and produce are deficient and we are surrounded by tremendous amount of toxins in the environment - so we have to take good supplementation to deal with this load.
Dr. Hyman generally recommends following supplements to people without specific health problems:
Multivitamins with minerals, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D, Omega-3 fats, probiotics.
People with specific health problems will be benefited from individual nutritional programs suited for these specific needs.
Key #2: Balance your hormones
If you feel tired all the time, do not sleep well, have mood swings and low energy level, if you have PMS and low sex drive, keep putting more and more belly fat and can not lose it- you have hormonal problems –your hormones and neurotransmitters are out of order -that should be taken care of. The most common problem- insulin resistance.
Do you know that 80 million to 100 million Americans suffer from this condition?
Most of them have extra fat around the middle ( check your waist to hip ratio, the measurement around your belly button divided by measurement around your hips-if it is greater then 0.8, you likely have insulin resistance.
THIS IS NOT A GENETIC DEFECT, IT IS SIMPLY THE OUTCOME OF THE FACT THAT WE STRAYED FROM EATING IN HARMONY WITH OUR GENETIC MAKEUP.
If you eat too much of carbohydrates, your body produces too much of insulin, and here is what too much of insulin does with you:
- It is fat storage hormone
- Insulin increases your appetite, especially to sugars
- Insulin increases triglycerides and LDL- bad cholesterol, lowers HDL-good cholesterol,
- Increases blood pressure
- It increase blood viscosity making blood more likely to clot
- It increases inflammation and oxidative stress in the body
- It stimulates growth of cancer cells
- It ages the brain
- It causes sex hormone problems and can cause infertility, leads to mood disturbance
Balancing blood sugar and correcting insulin resistance are within our reach.
Here is what to do:
- Stop eating white flour and sugar products, especially high fructose corn syrup
- Do not have liquid calories-your body does not feel full from them, so you eat more
- Stop eating all processed food, packaged, junk food-if it does not look like the food your great-great-great-grandmother ate, stay away.
- Stop eating trans fats and hydrogenated fats
- Eat low glycemic index (load ) food that will not permit your blood sugar levels go up quickly, so have some protein in each meal, it may be chicken, fish, cheese, beans, seeds and nuts.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals
- Get oil change: make your cells smarter by giving them oil change with Omega-3 fats, fixing the cell membranes, so they can more readily receive messages from insulin.
- Just balancing this one hormone- insulin can have wide–ranging effects on all your hormones and brain chemicals-neurotransmitters.
In the next newsletter I will tell you about other keys.
Let us start with some real everyday challenges on the way to ULTRA-WELLNESS.
WE CAN DO IT !